International Students


Australia’s climate varies greatly throughout the eight states and territories; there are four seasons across most of the country and a wet and dry season in the tropical north.

Australia’s seasons are at opposite times to those in the northern hemisphere. December to February is summer; March to May is autumn; June to August is winter; and September to November is spring.

The following average daily temperatures are a guide only.
Spring (Sep – Nov) 22°C
Autumn (Mar – May) 23°C
Summer (Dec – Feb) 26°C
Winter (Jun – Aug) 18°C

Australia is rich in culture and has a diverse cultural mix and is varied in its religion, language, history, and art. As an international student studying in Australia you will find yourself studying in a fascinating and fun environment.

Costs of living in Australia The following are approximate cost of living in Australia.  Please refer to website for more information about life in Australia. Accommodation 

  • Hostels and guesthouse – $90 to $150 per week
  • Shared rental – $95 to $215 per week
  • On campus – $110 to $280 per week
  • Homestay – $235 to $325 per week
  • Rental – $185 to $440 per week
  • Boarding schools – $11,000 to $22,000 a year 

Other living expenses (approximate)

  • Car (after purchase) – $150 to $260 per week
  • Eating out and groceries – $80 to $280 per week
  • Entertainment – $80 to $150 per week
  • Electivity and gas – $35 to $140 per week
  • Internet and phone – $20 to $55 per week
  • Public transport = $15 to $55 per week




Student Visa

  • Before you make a decision to study in Australia, it is really important that you visit the Department of Home Affairs Protection website  for information about student visa requirements and studying in Australia.
Student Visa (Subclass 500)

If you wish to undertake studies in Australia, you will need to apply for the student Visa (Subclass 500).  You can apply for the following types of visa:

  • school – primary or secondary
  • secondary school exchange program
  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  • vocational Education and Training (VET) courses –a registered VET course or a registered course for the award of an advanced diploma
  • higher education courses –a bachelor or associate degree, a graduate certificate or graduate diploma, a masters degree by coursework or a higher education diploma or advanced diploma
  • postgraduate Research degrees –a masters degree by research or a doctoral degree
  • non-award courses – non-award foundation studies courses or components of a course that do not lead to an award
  • students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defence.
What does this visa let you do?
  • You can study a registered full-time course in Australia.
  • Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.
  • You and your family members can generally work a specified number of hours.
  • You can generally stay in Australia until your course is finished.

Credit Transfer (CT)

CT is if you have studied and completed a Unit of Competency at another Registered Training Organisation. At SBTA we will ensure that you will not be required to repeat a unit of competency which you have already completed elsewhere. This may lead to your course being shortened.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

RPL is a process where a person with prior and current work experience can have their skills and knowledge assessed with the aim of being awarded a formal qualification. If you feel that you have the required skills and knowledge and can demonstrate current evidence for a qualification or part of a qualification, please contact us to discuss your needs. You will be guided through this process by our friendly administration team and given a detailed RPL Guide to assist you with collection of evidence.


Frequently Asked Questions

Before lodging your application, you are strongly encouraged to visit the website of the Department of Home Affairs  for more information about your visa options and the visa requirements if you wish to study in Australia. 

International students in Australia on a Student Visa (with work rights) can work up to 20 hours per week.  Students on working Holiday Visa are permitted to work full-time. 

You will have access to computers plus internet plus free wireless internet for all students. If you bring your laptop you can connect to our wireless internet.

We have dedicated 1:1 support every Friday plus if you need assistance any other day, you can book in 1:1 support with our Student Services Coordinator by sending an email to

It is a Student Visa condition that you have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your stay in Australia. OSHC will contribute towards medical and hospital expenses that you may incur. The Academy can assist you with this process. If you require OSHC, please indicate this in your “Application for Admissions” form.

International students may be eligible for support from the Australian Government including:

Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment – New South Wales. This is a lump sum payment to help you during the 14 days you need to self-isolate, quarantine or care for someone. Learn more:…/pandemic-leave…

COVID-19 Disaster Payment. This payment will be available from 1 July 2021 for eligible people in a Commonwealth-declared COVID-19 hotspot in Sydney. Monitor for updates:…/how-access-and…

All international students across NSW can access support from Study NSW.

Free 15kg food hampers for international students in NSW with our Foodbank NSW & ACT partnership:

Get your free subscription to My Legal Mate for free legal advice in seven languages:

Free mental health and wellbeing support:

For the latest updates, visit and follow NSW Government and NSW Health

You could defer your course until such time you can travel to Australia or you can commence studying all the theory subjects from your home country and complete the rest of your studies when the borders open.

Information for international students is available across a range of Government agencies, including:

Scroll to Top