Telephone: +61 2 9048 6900
  • E-Mail:
  • Telephone: +61 2 9048 6900

Frequently Asked Questions

Study at SBTA & SELA

We will be updating you on the latest developments regarding the Coronavirus COVID-19 Crisis in line with the Australian Government’s advice.  You can still contact The Academy on 02 9048 6900 or email any time if you have any questions.

Is The Academy open?

The Academy will not be open for face-to-face lessons however will be delivering online/distance learning.

Please Note: For those who need to use the computers to complete their assessments, Level 2 is open from 30th of March till 3rd of April 2020 from 9.00 am till 5.00 pm only.

Please practice social distancing whilst on campus.

What does social distancing mean?

Keep 1.5 metres away from others

What are the limits on public gathering now?

Most indoor and outdoor non-essential gathering to 2 people.

What are the common signs of Coronavirus COVID-19?

Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. Call your doctor/General Practitioner (GP) to make an appointment and discuss your symptoms over the phone. For more urgent medical attention visit your nearest public hospital emergency department. In an emergency, dial 000.

I am worried. How can I protect myself?

  • Keep social distancing
  • Wash your hands with soap for 20 seconds
  • Use hand-sanitisers
  • Cover your mouth when sneezing with your elbow
  • Don’t shake hands
  • Dispose of any used tissues
  • Practice social distancing – 1.5 meters from others

Can I defer my course during the Coronavirus Pandemic ?

You cannot defer your course whilst you remain in Australia.  You still need to maintain your student visa conditions and remain enrolled in our online mode of study.

If you are overseas and cannot return to Australia, you can defer your course until such time travel ban is removed.

If you wish to travel to your country then be aware that you may not be able to return due to travel bans.

Will my attendance be affected if I study online?

No your attendance will not be affected for face-to-face delivery but we will still take attendance for online/learning mode of study.

Course progress

As an international student and as per your Student Visa Conditions, you must still maintain your course progress. Please note that we are required to report Student Visa holders who do not meet course progress.

What happens if my arrival in Australia is delayed due to travel restrictions?

No, we will simply defer your course until you can arrive.   The deposit you pay will be moved to when you arrive and commence your course.

What happens if I defer my course? Do I need a new COE and will I be charged another fee?

Yes, we will issue a new COE when you are ready to commence your course again.

No we will not charge to issue for a new COE due to the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.

When does the holidays start for vocational students?

Holiday break for 3 weeks commence from the 6th of April till the 26th of April.

You must practice social distancing during the holiday break as well.

Can I travel interstate within Australia during holiday break?

The Prime Minister, Scott Morrison has told everyone to avoid all “non-essential” travel, in particular interstate travel and longer distances intrastate.

Most of the borders are also closed now.

If I am studying commercial cookery, how can I complete the practical sessions.

Practical sessions will be completed when you return to the College.  We will continue to deliver online mode of study and do all practical sessions upon your return.

I have work placement and have lost my job what do I do?

We will look at these on a case-by-case basis. Please email Student Services on

However students should continue to complete all theory classes via online/distance mode of study until they are able to undertake work placement activities.

Will I still receive my certification if I have completed my course?

Yes, you will receive an electronic copy of your Certification.

Can I have access to a counsellor?

Yes, you must send an email to the Student Services Coordinator requesting a counselling session and we will organise this for you with our in-house counsellor.

Other support services

The Beyond Blue Support Service offers short term counselling and referrals by phone and WeChat on 1300 22 4636.

Lifeline is a national charity providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Contact Lifeline on 13 11 14.  If life is in danger, call 000.

Further information on Coronavirus COVID-19

A new online portal provides information on COVID-19 in 63 languages launched by SBS

You can also access the following website for more information on COVID-19