International Students



Australia’s climate varies greatly throughout the eight states and territories; there are four seasons across most of the country and a wet and dry season in the tropical north.

Australia’s seasons are at opposite times to those in the northern hemisphere. December to February is summer; March to May is autumn; June to August is winter; and September to November is spring.

The following average daily temperatures are a guide only.
Spring (Sep – Nov) 22°C
Autumn (Mar – May) 23°C
Summer (Dec – Feb) 26°C
Winter (Jun – Aug) 18°C

Australia is rich in culture and has a diverse cultural mix and is varied in its religion, language, history, and art. As an international student studying in Australia you will find yourself studying in a fascinating and fun environment.

The following approximate costs are a guide only:
Litre of milk – AUD 2.00
Loaf of bread – AUD 2.00
Weekly travel pass – AUD 41.00
Movie ticket – AUD 16.00
Average living cost is approx. AUD 1,500 per month





Student Visa

  • Before you make a decision to study in Australia, it is really important that you visit the Department of Home Affairs Protection website  for information about student visa requirements and studying in Australia.
Student Visa (Subclass 500)

If you wish to undertake studies in Australia, you will need to apply for the student Visa (Subclass 500).  You can apply for the following types of visa:

  • school – primary or secondary
  • secondary school exchange program
  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS)
  • vocational Education and Training (VET) courses –a registered VET course or a registered course for the award of an advanced diploma
  • higher education courses –a bachelor or associate degree, a graduate certificate or graduate diploma, a masters degree by coursework or a higher education diploma or advanced diploma
  • postgraduate Research degrees –a masters degree by research or a doctoral degree
  • non-award courses – non-award foundation studies courses or components of a course that do not lead to an award
  • students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Trade or the Department of Defence.
What does this visa let you do?
  • You can study a registered full-time course in Australia.
  • Eligible family members can accompany you to Australia.
  • You and your family members can generally work a specified number of hours.
  • You can generally stay in Australia until your course is finished.

Credit Transfer (CT)

CT is if you have studied and completed a Unit of Competency at another Registered Training Organisation. At SBTA we will ensure that you will not be required to repeat a unit of competency which you have already completed elsewhere. This may lead to your course being shortened.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

RPL is a process where a person with prior and current work experience can have their skills and knowledge assessed with the aim of being awarded a formal qualification. If you feel that you have the required skills and knowledge and can demonstrate current evidence for a qualification or part of a qualification, please contact us to discuss your needs. You will be guided through this process by our friendly administration team and given a detailed RPL Guide to assist you with collection of evidence.


Frequently Asked Questions

Before lodging your application, you are strongly encouraged to visit the website of the Department of Home Affairs  for more information about your visa options and the visa requirements if you wish to study in Australia. 

  • If you are a current student, your visa will remain valid and your visa conditions will not change after 1st of July 2016.
  • After 1st of July 2016, family members of Student visa holders (subclasses 570-576) will need to apply for a subclass 500 visa if they wish to join a family member in Australia.
  • From 1 July 2016: International students will apply for a single Student visa (subclass 500), regardless of their chosen course of study
  • Student guardians will apply for the new Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)

The level of documentary evidence required in relation to financial and English language capacity will be guided by the combined immigration risk of the prospective student’s education provider and country of citizenship. Generally, students enrolled at an education provider with the lowest immigration risk outcomes will have lower evidentiary requirements, regardless of their nationality. Students enrolled at an education provider with the highest immigration risk outcomes will have access to reduced evidentiary requirements if they are from a country with the lowest immigration risk.

It is intended that students will be able to identify what documents they will be required to provide with their visa application by entering in their intended education provider and country of citizenship into an online tool. The Department will however retain the discretion to request additional documentation if required.

Through the online tool you will be able to determine the level of financial capacity and English language proficiency documentation that you will likely need to provide with your student visa application. This will be determined based on your country of citizenship and intended education provider.

Scroll to Top